Re: [hylafax-users] Somewhat OT: Need to overlay data onto form prior to faxing

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 14:02:09 -0400, Jim Moseby <JMoseby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>What I have is a blank form, scanned to a tiff file and converted to ps, and
>an ascii data file, converted to ps via enscript.  I want to overlay the
>command line options to make it so.  Your example above seems to append a
>printed form with an eps logo, not really 'overlay' the data onto it.
The enscript epsf[ ] escape sequence allows you to really overlay a form if
you will, ie: epsf[x0ca y0ca ny nx]{file.eps} will put the eps file at
absolute coordinates 0,0 and won't incresae x and y coords for next
processing, so this is a proper overlay.

>> If you have ps as input, then look at
>> http://partners.adobe.com/asn/developer/pdfs/tn/5144.pdf
>> on how to use/add postscript forms

Since you have ascii input, enscript will do what you want (provided you add
an epsf for every page, if your input contains FF this should be easy with a
bit of perl).

The above pdf doc is another way to get the same end result.

If you have long documents the enscript method will produce a final ps file
with size >= number_of_pages * size_of_eps_form.

The proper ps form method detailed in the pdf doc will include the eps file
just once whatever the number of pages. This is only worth if you have very
long docs since the preprocessing of the input file is a bit more complex.

If your input file is actually a simple PCL file and already includes PCL
calls for a PCL logo overlay saved as PCL macro in the printer, then you can
use ghostpcl to get the same thing you get on the printer (doc with
overlayed logo) without touching/preprocessing the input file.

--
giulioo@xxxxxxxxx