Re: [hylafax-users] Iternet-Fax WG Anyone?

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004, Matt wrote:

>  I've started to read the RFC's, and it does seem like a good idea to
> standardise the way that the information is received by the MTA. Judging
> by the part that I have read so far, it probably would need very little
> work to make most of the scripts written so far for email-to-fax with
> HylaFax compliant with this method. But, on the downside, RFC2035 in
> itself does seem to be somewhat optimistic about the actual setup.
>
> Specifically, to quote:
>
>    The reason for developing this capability as an email profile is to
>    permit interworking amongst facsimile and email users.  For example
>    it is intended that existing email users be able to send normal
>    messages to lists of users, including facsimile-based recipients, and
>    that other email recipients shall be able to reply to the original
>    and continue to include facsimile recipients.
>
>  This would make verification a nigh on impossible task, as the RFC
> touches upon sender verification later on in the document, it is overly
> simplistic, and unfeasible to introduce. The above paragraph would leave
> you with two options:
>
> 1) Allow people from outside of your business/corporation to relay through
>    your fax service
>
> 2) Allow only your own employees/staff to use the fax service, which would
>    then negate the "continue to include facsimile recipients" feature.

That isn't too different than current email authentication issues, right?
We allow relaying from within the local network, and require TLS+ESMTP
AUTH to relay from outside.  It might take some twiddling with the MTA to
get it right, but Postfix at least seems flexible enough to handle it.

I suppose it means you need to treat fax mail separately, for example in a
fax.domain.org subdomain.  I think for most, this is a non-issue: they
want to fax from within their organization and not allow faxes to be sent
from external emails 99% of the time.

>  Sticking to the RFC's however, unless there is something later in the
> documents that I haven't read yet, would be a complete and utter nightmare
> with regards to MTA administration.
>
> ( I've even bored the crap out of myself with this reply :)

:)