Re: [hylafax-users] Iternet-Fax WG Anyone?

> > 1) Allow people from outside of your business/corporation to relay
> > through
> >    your fax service
> >
> > 2) Allow only your own employees/staff to use the fax service, which
> > would
> >    then negate the "continue to include facsimile recipients" feature.
>
> That isn't too different than current email authentication issues,
> right? We allow relaying from within the local network, and require
> TLS+ESMTP AUTH to relay from outside.  It might take some twiddling with
> the MTA to get it right, but Postfix at least seems flexible enough to
> handle it.
>
> I suppose it means you need to treat fax mail separately, for example in
> a fax.domain.org subdomain.  I think for most, this is a non-issue: they
> want to fax from within their organization and not allow faxes to be
> sent from external emails 99% of the time.

 For external relaying with TLS/SASL authentification, and normal internal
users through Postfix, the existing way of calling mail to fax scripts
from master.cf with a seperate transport map for the fax domain wouldn't
require any alteration whatsoever, if I remember correctly. It was just
the bit about allowing group replies that would have cocked that up.

 The actual MTA setup is almost, if not, identical to the way it is at the
moment. The difference will be in the slight processing deviations
required, within the mail-to-fax script/programme. To be honest, (and I am
still in the process of trying to make sense of these RFC's and draft
texts) there really is very little difference between how the email to
sendfax system works at the moment, and the IETF format.
 Also, whilst on this subject, can anybody tell me what this TIFF-F format
is? Can it be supplied straight to sendfax, or does it need
pre-processing? My mind gave up while trying to decipher that doc :)

Matt