Re: [hylafax-users] more distinctive ring questions

On Sat, 2004-05-15 at 11:52, Lee Howard wrote:
> On 2004.05.14 18:32 James Pifer wrote:
>
> > (Going OT)I have several internal PCI modems that I have driver issues
> > with. One shows up as a generic modem, using lspci, but I have no idea
> > what tty it is using. (can anyone tell me how to figure this out?)
>
> You look at dmesg output.  If it's a standard PCI serial device, then
> the standard serial driver should pick it up and assign it a tty
> (usually sarting with ttyS5).  If it doesn't show up in dmesg output
> then you'll need to get the driver for it because it's probably a
> Winmodem/Linmodem.

Hmm, probably a winmodem/linmodem, but I'll try it again. I think I
checked dmesg and messages.

> > The
> > other, a conexant, requires that I purchase a driver before the fax
> > will
> > work..? That sucks.
>
> Well, considering that the Conexant Winmodem hardware probably cost
> around $15, it doesn't seem like extortion to charge another $30 (or
> whatever it is) to make it become a fax modem.  Your total cost into
> the modem is still relatively low ($45).  Of course, if you're looking
> to make something work with free, used junk you have laying around the
> office, well, then that's what you have to expect.

I'm not completely against spending another $15, especially since I
probably got the modem free after rebate anyway. All the same, drivers
for hardware are 'usually' free. I'm hoping to get it working before
spending any money.

> > Anyway, I do have an old US Robotics 28.8 external modem. Problem is I
> > can't find any info on it about distinctive ring. Looks like the 33.6
> > modems definitely supported it using register S41=1. I tried this on
> > the
> > 28.8 and the register is set, yet I don't think it's working. I used
> > kermit and no matter which number I connected with it just said RING
> > on
> > the output. Should I expect something like RING1 or RING 1 if
> > distinctive ring works?
>
> Something like that, yes.
>
> > I was also having trouble getting hylafax to answer the modem. I
> > assume
> > I leave auto answer on the modem off, otherwise it will pick up any
> > number that calls (I think). So I leave auto answer off and setup the
> > getty using: /usr/sbin/faxgetty ttyS0 &
> > I see faxgetty running, but it doesn't pick up the modem when I call
> > the
> > number. Anyone know what I'm missing?
>
> You probably have RingsBeforeAnswer set to 0.

Hm. I have RingsBeforeAnswer set to 1. I'll keep playing around. Thanks
for the info.

> Lee.

James