[hylafax-users] more distinctive ring questions

I know distinctive ring has been discussed a lot because I searched
first, but I still need a little help. I have Hylafax installed for the
first time(Redhat 9), but my problem is my modems.

(Going OT)I have several internal PCI modems that I have driver issues
with. One shows up as a generic modem, using lspci, but I have no idea
what tty it is using. (can anyone tell me how to figure this out?) The
other, a conexant, requires that I purchase a driver before the fax will
work..? That sucks.

Anyway, I do have an old US Robotics 28.8 external modem. Problem is I
can't find any info on it about distinctive ring. Looks like the 33.6
modems definitely supported it using register S41=1. I tried this on the
28.8 and the register is set, yet I don't think it's working. I used
kermit and no matter which number I connected with it just said RING on
the output. Should I expect something like RING1 or RING 1 if
distinctive ring works?

I was also having trouble getting hylafax to answer the modem. I assume
I leave auto answer on the modem off, otherwise it will pick up any
number that calls (I think). So I leave auto answer off and setup the
getty using: /usr/sbin/faxgetty ttyS0 &
I see faxgetty running, but it doesn't pick up the modem when I call the
number. Anyone know what I'm missing?

That's it for now. Any help is appreciated. This software looks very
cool and I'm looking forward to get it running.

Regards,
James