Re: [hylafax-users] more distinctive ring questions

On 2004.05.14 18:32 James Pifer wrote:

(Going OT)I have several internal PCI modems that I have driver issues
with. One shows up as a generic modem, using lspci, but I have no idea
what tty it is using. (can anyone tell me how to figure this out?)

You look at dmesg output. If it's a standard PCI serial device, then the standard serial driver should pick it up and assign it a tty (usually sarting with ttyS5). If it doesn't show up in dmesg output then you'll need to get the driver for it because it's probably a Winmodem/Linmodem.

The
other, a conexant, requires that I purchase a driver before the fax
will
work..? That sucks.

Well, considering that the Conexant Winmodem hardware probably cost around $15, it doesn't seem like extortion to charge another $30 (or whatever it is) to make it become a fax modem. Your total cost into the modem is still relatively low ($45). Of course, if you're looking to make something work with free, used junk you have laying around the office, well, then that's what you have to expect.

Anyway, I do have an old US Robotics 28.8 external modem. Problem is I
can't find any info on it about distinctive ring. Looks like the 33.6
modems definitely supported it using register S41=1. I tried this on
the
28.8 and the register is set, yet I don't think it's working. I used
kermit and no matter which number I connected with it just said RING
on
the output. Should I expect something like RING1 or RING 1 if
distinctive ring works?

Something like that, yes.

I was also having trouble getting hylafax to answer the modem. I
assume
I leave auto answer on the modem off, otherwise it will pick up any
number that calls (I think). So I leave auto answer off and setup the
getty using: /usr/sbin/faxgetty ttyS0 &
I see faxgetty running, but it doesn't pick up the modem when I call
the
number. Anyone know what I'm missing?

You probably have RingsBeforeAnswer set to 0.

Lee.