Re: [hylafax-users] Error: Can't Change Directories

On Tue, Nov 06, 2001 at 09:04:27PM -0500, Larry Andrew Piet wrote:
> A strange problem has suddenly emerged in my HylaFAX-4.1
> set up.

You don't say whether it's a bets, release candidate, or production,
but I don't think it matters.

> Whenever I attempt to start the server, I get the following
> error messages:
>
> FaxQueuer[1713]: .../hylafax/spool: Can not change directory
> HylaFAX[1714]: Can not change directory to .../hylafax/spool
> FaxGetty[1715]: .../hylafax/spool: Can not change directory
>
> Using the same procedure, I was always able to start HylaFAX.
> Just recently, the process fails with the above messages.
>
> I recompiled HylaFAX from source and re-installed the package,
> but the same errors occur.
>
> The only change to my system has been newer Linux kernels. I now
> have Linux 2.4.14.
>
> The same problem has already been reported on 29 August 2001 by
> Jay Ungab: can't change directories.

If that error message is actually accurate (ie: if the software's not
lying to *us*, I'll assume you cut and pasted), then the problem is
that something somewhere has grown a typo.

"*...*/hylafax/spool"?  *Three* dots?  Yeah, i'll *bet* it can't chdir
there.  Wonder where that command happens...  You might (if you can)
have to truss it and see if you can determine when that chdir is trying
to happen -- perhaps they've changed a syscall on us?

Is it possible for you to temporarily rollback to an older kernel and
see if it goes away (hint: it should be :-)?

Cheers,
-- jra

   "If you don't have a dream; how're you gonna have a dream come true?"
     -- Captain Sensible, The Damned