Re: [hylafax-users] Error: Can't Change Directories

Jay R. Ashworth wrote in resonse:

> "*...*/hylafax/spool"?  *Three* dots?  Yeah, i'll *bet* it can't chdir
> there.  Wonder where that command happens...  You might (if you can)
> have to truss it and see if you can determine when that chdir is trying
> to happen -- perhaps they've changed a syscall on us?

The reason I have indicated the "three dots" is because I have compiled
HylaFAX to be in a non-standard location and I didn't want to possibly
confuse the issue by giving the exact directory name.  But the location
is compliled into the program and HylaFAX knows exactly where to find it.
 Before this sudden problem came up, HylaFAX would work beautifully no
matter where I installed it.

The problem occurs only with four programs in the HylaFAX suite: faxq,
faxgetty, hfaxd, and faxqclean.  After checking the source files, I found
that all these programs have a common set of code.  This is the point
where the error occurs.

The files in question are:

/faxd/FaxQCleanApp.c++
/faxd/FaxQueueApp.c++
/faxd/FaxGettyApp.c++
/hfaxd/main.c++

The common code is excerpted as follows:

    /*
     * Deduce the spooling directory and whether or not to
     * detach the process from the controlling tty . . .     */
    . . .

    if (Sys::chdir(queueDir) < 0)
	fatal("Can not change directory to %s", (const char*)queueDir);

Obviously, the function in all cases is returning a value less than zero
and the programs will immediately terminate at this point.

In a few days, I'll also install an older kernel to see if the problem
recurs.

Thanks for your response.

Larry Piet