Re: [hylafax-users] Hylafax freezing...

At 07:36 AM 8/2/2001Marc Silva sez:
>I was using a old (slow - Pentium 150) machine to faxserver.
>But now I'm using a "new" computer (more faster - AMD K6II 266) and
>there's no more problem.
>I'm using brooktrout MPM8 and Hylafax 4.1 with the same configuration.
>
>Some guys need to see deadlock problem with slow machine.
>
>see you...
>
>Marc Silva
>IT Department
>ebiznet corporation
>marcs@ebiznet.com

I use a 486/66 EISA machine which handles 100's of incoming faxes a day
without problem. That is not a slow machine either.

BTW, in 1986 through 1993 my fax was an IBM 8088 with 640K RAM running as a
diskless workstation with Xerox MicroFAX card in it processing faxes round
the clock. It had an attached XES Data Products 300 dpi 256 greyscale
scanner with a sheet feeder and ran perfectly non-stop.

This idea that a Pentium class machine is too slow for faxing seems
appalling to me. If the machine has 16550 UARTS or better it should be able
to support data at a cte/dte rate of 38,400 bps continuously considering
the connection rate never exceeds 14.4kbps, processing the incoming TIFF
files or outgoing TIFF plus conversion to/from postscript and driving a
printer as only a light load for a 386. In fact, I have a very nice 386/25
running Redhat Linux 5.2 with 16550 UARTS. I think I will run HylaFAX just
to prove that the world that faxing is not big deal. If you recall, a
386/25 was lightning quick compared to a 10 MHz XT.

** L I N U X **  .~.   Paul A. Franz, P.E.      Engineering Software
   The Choice     /V\   Blackdog Software        Network Consulting and Sales
   of the GNU    /( )\  <http://blackdog.bellevue.wa.us/> Custom Web Services
   Generation    ^^-^^  (425) 641-8202, (425) 641-1773 FAX    Internet FAX