Re: [hylafax-users] Hylafax freezing...

Paul A. Franz, P.E.:
>This idea that a Pentium class machine is too slow for faxing seems
>appalling to me. If the machine has 16550 UARTS or better it should be able
>to support data at a cte/dte rate of 38,400 bps continuously considering
>the connection rate never exceeds 14.4kbps, processing the incoming TIFF
>files or outgoing TIFF plus conversion to/from postscript and driving a
>printer as only a light load for a 386. In fact, I have a very nice 386/25
>running Redhat Linux 5.2 with 16550 UARTS. I think I will run HylaFAX just
>to prove that the world that faxing is not big deal. If you recall, a
>386/25 was lightning quick compared to a 10 MHz XT.

FWIW, my former box was a 486 Overdrive (~83 MHz), talking to a Class 1
(as you know Class 1 has extremly critical timing requirements) modem
through an 16450 UART. No problem observed whatsoever. Hylafax was just
doing its job smoothly, even with loadavg > 1 and swapping activity. In
my case it's FreeBSD.

I have upgraded to a Pentium 166 in the meantime. Any machine that
builds a complete operating system in less than a day is fast enough.
(A 1 GHz Xeon requires 50 minutes for a complete FreeBSD-STABLE.)

Helge