Re: [hylafax-users] Recovering from modem power loss

At 04:30 PM 8/1/01 -0500, Steve Snyder wrote:
>Hello.
>
>I am running HylaFAX v4.1 on a machine which is on an Uninterruptable Power
>Supply (UPS).  HylaFAX is servicing an external modem for fax I/O, a modem
>which not on the UPS (due to lack of unused UPS outlets).
>
>I have noticed that there is a considerable amount of modem I/O on faxgetty
>startup.  Presumably the modem is being configured in some way.  My concern
>is that a power failure will reset the modem without faxq/hfaxd/faxgetty
>being aware of it.  When the power is restored the modem will come back up
>in it's default state - not the state configured by faxgetty.  An incoming
>fax will not find the modem in a state suitable for acting as a fax machine.

I think you're worrying too much.  Not to belittle what faxgetty is doing
to prep the modem... but... for the most part it is superfluous.  In most
cases, all that faxgetty needs to properly receive a fax is to hear RING.
You can test this easily, though.

>Can anyone suggest a method of insuring that modem/faxgetty communications
>will be maintained in the face of a power failure?

If you're that paranoid about it, or if your tests show failure, then I'd
recommend buying an $80 280VA UPS for the modem.

Lee.