Re: [hylafax-users] Recovering from modem power loss

On Wednesday 01 August 2001 06:01 pm, Lee Howard wrote:
> At 04:30 PM 8/1/01 -0500, Steve Snyder wrote:
> >Hello.
> >
> >I am running HylaFAX v4.1 on a machine which is on an Uninterruptable
> > Power Supply (UPS).  HylaFAX is servicing an external modem for fax
> > I/O, a modem which not on the UPS (due to lack of unused UPS outlets).
> >
> >I have noticed that there is a considerable amount of modem I/O on
> > faxgetty startup.  Presumably the modem is being configured in some
> > way.  My concern is that a power failure will reset the modem without
> > faxq/hfaxd/faxgetty being aware of it.  When the power is restored the
> > modem will come back up in it's default state - not the state
> > configured by faxgetty.  An incoming fax will not find the modem in a
> > state suitable for acting as a fax machine.
>
> I think you're worrying too much.  Not to belittle what faxgetty is doing
> to prep the modem... but... for the most part it is superfluous.  In most
> cases, all that faxgetty needs to properly receive a fax is to hear RING.

Well, I'm willing concede that might be over-anxious on this.  The thing
is, I travel a lot and won't be onsite to do whatever tweaking is needed.
That being the case, I'm trying to foresee all the problems that might
ocurre while I'm away.

Thanks for the response.