Re: [hylafax-users] Fax to mail, w/dedicated user lines ?

On Friday, August 25, 2000, at 12:39:04 PM, Jean Luc Damnet wrote:
> <Set Newbie Warning = ON>

Thanks.

> From word-of-mouth, it looks like HylaFAX is the one we need, yet one
> question that comes from the requirements I was given, for which I didn't
> find a definitive answer after sifting thru the FAQs:

I don't believe it's in there, yet.

> Translated from French, it gives something like this: «There are 220Z
> incoming phone numbers, each dedicated to a given email user. The inbound
> calls are distributed over 16 modems. The fax server must be able to
> automatically direct each incoming fax to the email box of the target
> user.»

It's called DID, or Direct Inward Dialling.

> Is this something that can be done ? I am nothing like a telecom guru: I^
> understand we can receive the CALLING number, but what about the CALLED
> number ? Does this need some specific hardware, and if yes is there
> support for this either in HylaFAX or any plug-in around ?

Yes, it requires special hardware.  *Which* hardware depends on how
your carrier delivers the DID.  So far as I'm aware, there isn't yet
any *formal* support for DID in faxgetty (which is the program that
would care), but I think I'd heard that someone had hacked something
for themselves.

If your calls will be coming in over a T-1 or ISDN PRI, there's
something in the works at one HW mfgr that I don't think I'm allowed
to talk about yet; projected timeframe something like Christmas '00.

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff
The Suncoast Freenet