Re: [hylafax-users] Receive Fax problems

  Jay> Hmmm... not as a typescript.  Let me check my install notes.

  Jay> Installed libtiff-3.5.5-2.i386.rpm.
  Jay> Tried to rpm hylafax-4_1beta2-5rh6_i386.rpm, said it needed libgr,
  Jay> libgr-devel, libgr-progs.
  Jay> Installed the first two, -progs failed on libpng-1.0.8 -- I *had*
  Jay> libpng2.

There's your problem. You're unable to install libgr and the gang because you
have libpng2 installed.

	[darren@hewes darren]$ rpm -qa | egrep  libpng
	libpng-1.0.5-3
	libpng-devel-1.0.5-3

This would be the normal situation.

  Jay> Tried to install libpng-1.0.8... it said it needed rpm 4.0.  I
  Jay> actually *found* an rpm 4 on rpmfind.net, but I'm not sure where it
  Jay> came from, 3.0.5 is apparently current.  Gave up on libpng1.  Needed
  Jay> popt to install rpm 305.  Got that.

?????? Redhat's official libpng RPM installed just fine for me. Why would you
be trying to install libpng-1.0.8 and where did you get that? Don't answer
please.

  Jay> Was going to --force libgr-progs, but finally gave up on it
  Jay> since it was conflicting all over hell with libtiff.

I don't think that's true. I think maybe it conflicts badly with libpng2.

  Jay> Did a nodeps on the hyla rpm, but ran out of minutes at that point, so
  Jay> I don't know how it's actually going to run.  I'll try to get to that
  Jay> tonight, but I've been feeling like hammered shit all week long, so it
  Jay> might be this weekend.

What's the problem? Remove your libpng2 RPM (which does not come with RedHat
and you must have installed as a custom thing) and install libtiff and the
libgr stuff.

This has nothing to do with a libtiff/libgr clash, which makes sense, because
they don't. In general, it's best to stick to the official RedHat RPMs unless
there's a clear reason for departing from this (I run a different apache and
PHP setup than RedHat do, for instance). If you do this though, you must be
aware of the posssible consequences, and the occasional broken interdependency.

-d