Re: [hylafax-users] Receive Fax problems

On Friday, August 25, 2000, at 10:32:04 AM, Darren Nickerson wrote:
>   Jay> Hmmm... not as a typescript.  Let me check my install notes.
>   Jay> Installed libtiff-3.5.5-2.i386.rpm.
>   Jay> Tried to rpm hylafax-4_1beta2-5rh6_i386.rpm, said it needed libgr,
>   Jay> libgr-devel, libgr-progs.
>   Jay> Installed the first two, -progs failed on libpng-1.0.8 -- I *had*
>   Jay> libpng2.

> There's your problem. You're unable to install libgr and the gang because you
> have libpng2 installed.

Came that way.

>         [darren@hewes darren]$ rpm -qa | egrep  libpng
>         libpng-1.0.5-3
>         libpng-devel-1.0.5-3

> This would be the normal situation.

>   Jay> Tried to install libpng-1.0.8... it said it needed rpm 4.0.  I
>   Jay> actually *found* an rpm 4 on rpmfind.net, but I'm not sure where it
>   Jay> came from, 3.0.5 is apparently current.  Gave up on libpng1.  Needed
>   Jay> popt to install rpm 305.  Got that.

> ?????? Redhat's official libpng RPM installed just fine for me. Why would you
> be trying to install libpng-1.0.8 and where did you get that? Don't answer
> please.

Sorry; I was trying to install libpng2, as noted, because libg-progs
said I needed it.  I got it from rpmfind.  Why libgr-progs wouldn't
say *>=* 1, I dunno.

>   Jay> Was going to --force libgr-progs, but finally gave up on it
>   Jay> since it was conflicting all over hell with libtiff.

> I don't think that's true. I think maybe it conflicts badly with libpng2.

Nope; the conflict messages said the files belonged to libtiff.

>   Jay> Did a nodeps on the hyla rpm, but ran out of minutes at that point, so
>   Jay> I don't know how it's actually going to run.  I'll try to get to that
>   Jay> tonight, but I've been feeling like hammered shit all week long, so it
>   Jay> might be this weekend.

> What's the problem? Remove your libpng2 RPM (which does not come with RedHat
> and you must have installed as a custom thing) and install libtiff and the
> libgr stuff.

Did not either.  :-)  But I'll do that anyway, and see what happens.

> This has nothing to do with a libtiff/libgr clash, which makes sense, because
> they don't. In general, it's best to stick to the official RedHat RPMs unless
> there's a clear reason for departing from this (I run a different apache and
> PHP setup than RedHat do, for instance). If you do this though, you must be
> aware of the posssible consequences, and the occasional broken interdependency.

Yeah.  Someone had walked off with my CD, and rpmfind appears not to
be completely auhtoritative for the distributed rpm's.

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff
The Suncoast Freenet