[hylafax-users] Re: Waiting for modem ready...

Fabio Coatti <cova@ferrara.linux.it> wrote:

> [snip]... It happens that when I start the faxserver (using
> the /etc/rc.d/init.d/hylafax start command),the faxstat command reports
>
> HylaFAX scheduler on myhost.mydomain: Running
> Modem ttyS1 (+390532730074): Waiting for modem to come ready
>
> and the server is unable to send any fax until a
> "faxmodem ttyS1" command is issued, otherwise the server works just fine,
> even with that modem...[snip]

Good. This is exactly what should happen. The hylafax server process (faxq)
needs to know the modem's capabilities and its status. In a send and receive
environment you must use faxgetty to do this job; in a send-only environment
you have a choice of using *either* faxgetty or faxmodem, but using faxgetty
is still recommended.

Why? Well, faxgetty is smart, it knows how to talk to modems and how to tell
faxq their capabilities, handle receiving faxes, also it will jump out of
the way then it sees a data connection in or out of the modem yet will take
control afterwards. And when it thinks there is something wrong with the
modem it will send you (the faxmaster) an email saying so.

The only downside is that the modem needs to be connected to the system and
switched on all the time. If you have a standalone system, and only want to
connect up your modem when you want to use it, then faxmodem is for you. I
suggest inserting a line in your rc.local file. An example (taken from the
man page) is :

# Tell HylaFAX about my class 1 modem
/usr/local/sbin/faxmodem -c '(0,1),(0-5),(0-2),(0-2),(0,1),0,0,(0-7)' ttyS1

The alternative, faxgetty, is started by the 'init' daemon and so an entry
is required in the /etc/inittab file, like so:

# Run faxgetty for the modem
mo:23:respawn:/usr/local/sbin/faxgetty ttyS1

In RedHat systems, you will find faxgetty in /usr/sbin. Then reinitialize
initd with the command 'telinit q' rather than rebooting to start faxgetty.

[Note: if you want to run a graphical login which runs on level 5, then
       you will need to amend the above to 'mo:2345:respawn ..etc']

You have found the 'hylafax' startup script that was created by faxsetup
and placed in /etc/rc.d/init.d, but you need to create the correct links
to start the hylafax processes automatically at bootup. The commands I
use are:

    cd /etc/rc.d/rc3.d
    ln -vs ../init.d/hylafax S95hylafax
    cd /etc/rc.d/rc6.d
    ln -vs ../init.d/hylafax K10hylafax

There are currently development efforts to try to make faxsetup do all
this for you, but until then...

Good luck,
Phil Watkinson,
Leicester, UK.
--
DISARRAY ('dis-u-Rae) n. Data structure that looks like an array, but isn't.