[hylafax-users] Waiting for modem ready...

I've the following setup: hylafax-4.1beta2 on a stock redhat 6.1 (Linux
i386), configured as send-only, modem: Sportster 28.800 on ttyS1.

I know that this modem is not the best one, but I don't think that my
problem is related to it. It happens that when I start the faxserver (using
the /etc/rc.d/init.d/hylafax start command),the faxstat command reports

HylaFAX scheduler on myhost.mydomain: Running
Modem ttyS1 (+390532730074): Waiting for modem to come ready

(I've read about the "Waiting for modem to come ready" issue, but this is not
the problem, I think)
and the server is unable to send any fax until a
"faxmodem ttyS1" command is issued, otherwise the server works just fine,
even with that modem. I've tried with a zyxel U1496E (old roms,
unfortunately) ad an rockwell chipset 33.6K modem with the same result:
without "faxmodem ttyS1" comamnd the server is unable to send out anything;
with faxmodem, the faxstat still reports "Waiting for modem to come ready",
but the fax is sent without problems.

I've checked both FAQ and mailing list archives, without any luck. Can
someone help me, even a link to some answer is welcome...