Re: Hylafax Installation -- A Plea for Help

Darren Nickerson <darren@hylafax.org> writes:

>   Dave> Just what is it with the USR's that make them not work?  IIRC, WinFax
>   Dave> actually suggests these modems as the modem of choice...
>
> USRs are OK in Class1. Sometimes.

... because of Class1 bugs in Hylafax (seems to be fixed). I don't know
any firmware related problem for USR Class1 implementation.

> HylaFAX still does not like them a lot of
> the time even in Class1. See my retraction on one model just recently ;-)
>
> IIRC most of the personal (Windoze) fax apps drive modems in Class1, the
> simplest and most reliable way to operate in a low-latency, high resource
> setup such as a single workstation.

Class 1 is also the reliable way for heavy loaded server. Have you read Class
2/2.0 vs Class 1 discussion in hylafax-devel?

> Basically, they work on the principle of lowest common denominator, and they
> get away with it most of the time! Just think of the test bed they have . . .
> if we had that many users pounding on HylaFAX I bet we'd pretty rapidly build
> up a robust set of modem configs to cope with most models,

Actually *not* *needed* (all this Class2* stuff and useless modem init
string in existing configs ...) Almost all modems will work fine with
the default settings (as soon as my changes is applied). You'll see ... :-)

> and we'd be driving
> them in Class 2 as well!

Not neccessary. I'm quite happy with Class 1 now (and need not to thing
about Class2 firmware specifics, i.e. bugs). Now it's time to implement ECM
:-))) (impossible for Class 2/2.0)

Hope to hear from you soon,
Dmitry