Question On HFAXD Communication

I'm writing a windows client (using Delphi 5 and the Winshoes Internet
Components) to interface with hfaxd and a couple of questions have come
up...

I've tried a couple of different winsock components and am having
trouble determining when hfaxd is closing the data connection.

I've made progress using passive mode (as far as now I can determine
when the listing has completed and I can close the connection on my
end).

Also, is there a simple hfaxd command to just get the number of entries
in the directory without getting an entire listing?

Thanks....

Leon Hauck
leon@progcpu.com