Re: Design for a portable Java hylafax clients: i wantyour opinions, please!

On Tue, 9 May 2000, Edward King wrote:

> Hello,
>
> You mentioned an efficient converter for fax - pdf.  I just finished modifying
> the faxrcvd script to convert the fax into a pdf file and then email it -- it
> uses Peter Stamfest's fax2pdf program and somebody else's base64.
>
> The email has the fax as an attachment -- and has been tested with Outlook 2000
> and Netscape 4.7 (both recognize it as a PDF with no problem).  We also checked
> it using Acrobat 3 and 4 -- both work.
>
> If you want a copy of the modified faxrcvd script I can post that.

To add to this: I have built an integrated Email/Web based system that
additionally implements access control to faxes by using the MD5 hash of
the TIFF files as per-fax keys.

The entire system is written in PHP with some perl programs in its orbit.
It uses a database (Must be SQL, with a binding to both Perl and PHP,
ODBC should do) to keep fax related information. It can be viewed as a
postprocessor to the hylafax fax receiving operations.

The system also generates emails that may or may not contain the Fax as an
attachment. Additionally, an URL can be included into this email to
indicate where the fax can be viewed on the web.

It has some more interesting features, like web based configuration,
password protection, etc.

The whole system currently exists as RH 6.1 RPM and it is in its beta test
phase.

The thing, however, is not free - I sell this to my customers [Hey, I have
to earn _some_ money, this is my only job].

My fax2pdf is just a spin-off of the whole thing. And fax2pdf is GPLed and
will remain it.

peter