Re: [hylafax-devel] Endless RTN -- seems to be fixed now!

Darren Nickerson <darren@dazza.org> writes:

>   Dmitry> I am glad to inform you that after a couple of days of hard work I have
>   Dmitry> found a bug which caused infamous "endless RTN" problem. There is nothing
>   Dmitry> special - Hylafax just violated T.4/T.class2 protocol specs :-)
>
>   Dmitry> To be more specific, T.4/T.class2 (Class 2.0 standard) defines the
>   Dmitry> following format for the Phase C data (core of G3 fax protocol):
>
> [snip details of protocol violation]
>
> Folks, aside from "Bernd Proissl" <news@proissl.de>, has anyone checked
> Dmitry's work?? If his analysis is correct, this is FANTASTIC! work, and may
> well resolve one of the longest running issues with HylaFAX . . . the dreaded
> RTN frequency.
>
>   Dmitry> P.S. I am also going to publish tsi processing bug fixes (after some
>   Dmitry> testing). Stay tuned :-)
>
> Look forward to hearing about your work!
>
> -Darren

Darren, there was the only person besides Bernd Proissl who seemed to be
interested in testing my fixes (d1swdev@asiaonline.net -- K.S.Wat from Hong
Kong). He stated that the fixes did not work for him. I reviewed his logs and
found there nothing incorrect - just pretty normal RTN at the high speed
and the noisy line, after which Hylafax decreased the speed and sent the
page successfully (it would be unable to send the page at any speed if the
bug was there).

BTW, Bernd's logs were also very unclear - he aborted immediately after the
RTN arrived :-(

Thus the most fantastic thing is that my fixes met so less
response. Perhaps you (and me) were wrong, thinking that fixing the RTN bug
is so important for the Hylafax community :-(

Hope to hear from you soon,
Dmitry