RE: [hylafax-devel] Re: Endless RTN -- seems to be fixed now!

> Darren, there was the only person besides Bernd Proissl who seemed to be
> interested in testing my fixes (d1swdev@asiaonline.net -- K.S.Wat
> from Hong
> Kong). He stated that the fixes did not work for him. I reviewed
> his logs and
> found there nothing incorrect - just pretty normal RTN at the high speed
> and the noisy line, after which Hylafax decreased the speed and sent the
> page successfully (it would be unable to send the page at any speed if the
> bug was there).
>
> BTW, Bernd's logs were also very unclear - he aborted immediately
> after the
> RTN arrived :-(

Dmitry,

you did not told me that it is important for you get the complete log :-(
the fax machine is located at my client's office.
i aborted the test transmissions just to keep the fax machine from
distibuting paper
in the room.

I do not think that noise is the problem, i can reproduce RTN over the local
pbx in the office where the fac machine is installed. i can send faxes at
14000 regularly
from my office to the office of my client (not with hylafax/Zyxel).

i complete log is attached. (tagline font commeted out, original G3Encoder)

until now, the patch did not help for me but it ist still unclear (for me)
if there
is another additional cause for my RTNs. i am in contact with Dmitry, we are
preparing some
checks in the near future.

Bernd

> Thus the most fantastic thing is that my fixes met so less
> response. Perhaps you (and me) were wrong, thinking that fixing
> the RTN bug
> is so important for the Hylafax community :-(

if you MUST have a working fax sever and start with hylafax
you will have 2 major options:

1. you picked a modem which works with hylafax :-)
2. you picked another one and you will know lots about RTN and their
possible
   causes. but no real solution has been offered (yet?)

so if you can't get hylafax running you have to leave and look for something
which
works for you.

i think the majority of people with RTNs gave up on hylafax because
the symptoms of the problem are so "attracting" to your clients (or even
worse: your
possilbe clients): have a look at your fax: What are theese guys doing?
sending this page
x times?

i am pretty new with hylafax and luckily a found a working modem (really in
the very last minute)
before my client urged me to give up with hylafax and get something better.
i think i would have left the list and never even heard about the new infos
from Dmitry.

Bernd

c00000129