Re: FW: Will 4.1b3 or 4.1 solve "no response to MPS"?

At 05:15 PM 10/30/99 +0200, you wrote:
>On Fri, 29 Oct 1999 10:38:35 -0400, hai scritto:
>
> >No, it might not be the modem.  David's explanation points strongly at
> >flow control.  The port and the modem setup have to agree on this
> >topic, or Bad Things<tm> will happen.
>
> >See above, and check your configuration thoroughly.
>
>What should I check? I setup the modem with faxaddmodem, and checked
>that every command hylafax proposed matched the one in the modem manual.

stty < /dev/<modem device file>

Compare to the hylafax modem configuration file, inspect also the log files
of the failures.

>The problem happens both with class2.0 modems and class1 ones.
>
>Now I'm using class1, xonxoff, low resolution, low speed and still have
>the problem. I upgraded to 4.1b2 because many people said it was the tag
>line that caused problems.

The problem with the tagline caused hylafax to send invalid fax data and
normally caused the receiving fax to request retrain rather than a hangup
on the end of page.

>I think that if many hylafax users (see list archives) share the very
>same problem, and this problem occurs with hylafax only, then the there
>is a great chance the problem is hylafax related and not modem related.

On most normally operating systems i have seen the MPS/EOP error occurs on
typically less than 3% of calls to randomly selected destinations, quite
often much less.  At least three quarters of the complaints i have seen on
the problem is because hylafax has not being setup correctly.

ie the errorstats ouput of a server i operate:

Modem: Combined Total
Total faxes sent:                                                     82173

Error                                                           No  Rate/1000
No response to MPS repeated 3 times; Giving up after 3 attem     2      0.0
No response to MPS repeated 3 times; too many attempts to se     1      0.0
No response to EOP repeated 3 times; Giving up after 3 attem    22      0.3
No response to EOP repeated 3 times; too many attempts to se     3      0.0
No response to MPS repeated 3 times                             44      0.5
No response to EOP repeated 3 times                            301      3.7
No response to EOP repeated 3 times; too many attempts to di     7      0.1

ie  380 failures from 82,000 sent, or 0.46% of calls made.

>If the modem is set up in the wrong way, then why it fails only with
>specific fax machines? Why other fax softwares are able to set ip up and
>send faxes?

Show a log! Preferably of both hylafax failing and other software
succeeding with the same hardware setup.

The other software is *not* necessarily succeeding, it is just saying it is.

ie fax session roughly(without error correction):
from senders perspective:
1) dial
2) phase b
3) transmit page
4) transmit RTC
5) phase d send MPS/EOP
6) receiver responds confirmation ie MCF/RTN/RTP etc

If the receiver hangs up at 5) the sender has received no confirmation
whether the page was received successfully by the receiver.  There is no
guarantee that the receiver received any part of the page.  I guess at this
point the software could say that this was a "successful send" and forget
about it.

...but would you want that kind of software?

- Robert