Problem building HylaFAX under Solaris 7.

I've trying to build HylaFAX from the file hylafax-v4.0pl2.tar.gz on a
Sun SPARCstation 20 (416 Mb RAM, dual 90 MHz CPUs)

The configure script fails complaining the TIFF library is not there or
up to date.  I don't quite know the version of TIFF I have installed,
but it would not be less than 7 months old. The last bit of config.log
says:

-------config.log-------
}
+ make -f confMakefile t
/usr/local/bin/gcc  -I/usr/local/include t.c -L/usr/local/lib -ltiff
-lsocket -lnsl -lm  -lmalloc
+ ./a.out
ld.so.1: ./a.out: fatal: relocation error: file ./a.out: symbol
TIFFGetVersion: referenced symbol not found
Killed
------------------
I cant quite work out what it is trying to do here. I've never seen a
"+./a.out" used with gcc (I think this may be produced by configure
script) When I compile the bit I think it is testing:

polly /usr/local/src/hylafax-v4.0pl2 # /usr/local/bin/gcc
-I/usr/local/include t.c -L/usr/local/lib -ltiff -lsocket -lnsl -lm
-lmalloc

it creates a file a.out with no complaints about TIFFGetVersion being
missing.
(If I run a.out it produces a segmentation fault, but the configure
script don't try to run the programme anyway).

I'm tempted to just remove this bit from the configure script, as I'm
sure it compiles okay on my system, but I'd appreciate any thoughts.

--
Dr. David Kirkby Ph.D.
Department of Medical Physics,