Re: Problem building HylaFAX under Solaris 7.

On Sun, 24 Oct 1999, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:

> I've trying to build HylaFAX from the file hylafax-v4.0pl2.tar.gz on a
> Sun SPARCstation 20 (416 Mb RAM, dual 90 MHz CPUs)
>
> The configure script fails complaining the TIFF library is not there or
> up to date.  I don't quite know the version of TIFF I have installed,
> but it would not be less than 7 months old. The last bit of config.log
> says:

Gack. No one that I know of has done Solaris 7 yet.

> -------config.log-------
> }
> + make -f confMakefile t
> /usr/local/bin/gcc  -I/usr/local/include t.c -L/usr/local/lib -ltiff
> -lsocket -lnsl -lm  -lmalloc
> + ./a.out
> ld.so.1: ./a.out: fatal: relocation error: file ./a.out: symbol
> TIFFGetVersion: referenced symbol not found
> Killed

*HMMM*. SunOS of various versions included an antique version of
libtiff.a in the /usr/openwin/lib directory. This was *NOT* up to
date, and if the version of necessary TIFF include files does
not include the flag TIFFGetVersion. Try taking a look in the config.log
files at precisely what it attempted to compile, and do a "gcc -M" with
the flags above and see if it finds the goshdarn include files.

Note that there is also an even newer version of TIFF, version 3.5 at
www.libtiff.org, which I don't think has been fully tested. And you
didn't mention the version of gcc! There have been a whole stack of
patches in the latest beta and CVS versions to cope with gcc 2.95.1.

> ------------------
> I cant quite work out what it is trying to do here. I've never seen a
> "+./a.out" used with gcc (I think this may be produced by configure
> script) When I compile the bit I think it is testing:

And that is odd!

> polly /usr/local/src/hylafax-v4.0pl2 # /usr/local/bin/gcc
> -I/usr/local/include t.c -L/usr/local/lib -ltiff -lsocket -lnsl -lm
> -lmalloc
>
> it creates a file a.out with no complaints about TIFFGetVersion being
> missing.
> (If I run a.out it produces a segmentation fault, but the configure
> script don't try to run the programme anyway).

Hmmmm! What is this "bit that you think it is using"? And are you
getting an OpenWindows TIFF library rather than the one written
by Sam Leffler?

			Nico Kadel-Garcia
			Senior Engineer, CIRL
			Mass. Eye and Ear Infirmary