Re: Will 4.1b3 or 4.1 solve "no response to MPS"?

On Sun, 24 Oct 1999 15:22:47 +0100 (BST), hai scritto:

>> I have 4.1b2 and still get "No response to MPS" with some fax machines.
>> Will this be fixed in 4.1?

>Could you please specify in exactly what way Hylafax is violating the
>protocol or in exactly what way the remote machines are violating the

I'm not a fax expert, and I'm not a programmer. I don't know anything
about fax protocol.

I see that hylafax keeps failing to deliver to certain fax machines,
that is it _always_ fails with those specific fax machines; I had to
make a script to scan the logs nightly to avoid sending faxes to those
machine via hylafax again.

It's not a problem related to my modem, since the same thing happens to
many hylafax users, and the list archives are full of questions about
this issue, but the answers don't solve the problem.

If I send a fax with a "traditional" fax machine or MSFax to the same
fax numbers that have troubles receiving from hylafax, the faxes are
sent/received well; this is why I say it's an hylafax problem.

Probably, as you say, hylafax doesn't violate the specs; but, if
striclty respecting the specs means that you cannot reach some fax
machines I think it would be ok to act like MSFax or efax do (never used
efax, but saw posts of people saying that efax could send faxes where
hylafax would fail).

If this problem cannot be eliminated, I'd like a config option in
hylafax, turned off by default, which would be something like
"go on, even if you don't get a MPS response" (hylafax would send the
following pages even if the previous one didn't get an OK response), so
users could decide if they want to risk; users who _have_ to send faxes
to people with old fax machines certainly would.

In fact, often people call me saying that they received the same page
4/5 times, meaning they did received the page even if their fax machines
didn't respond to hylafax confirmation requests.

--
giulioo@tiscalinet.it