Re: Does hylafax support DTMF numeric paging?

On Sat, Oct 02, 1999 at 10:24:04AM -0500, Gary Mills wrote:
> I just upgraded from v3.0pl0 to v4.0pl2, and sending FAXes seems to work
> nicely.  However, I had a complaint from a user that he could no longer
> use `sendpage' to contact his numeric pager.  I don't know what the
> protocol is, but these pagers have individual phone numbers, with no PIN.
> When you call the number, a voice message invites you to enter the
> numeric message via DTMF tones.  He claims that it used to work.

Most paging switches will accept numeric pages on their TAP/IXO modem
dialup port, in the same fashion that they accept alpha pages.  This is
almost certainly how it was configured before.

> How can this be done with the new sendpage, which requires a PIN?

The pin is usually the same as the number, for digital pagers.

> As well, I notice that sendpage requires the `-n' option when there
> is no text message, as for a numeric pager.  How then, do you specify
> a numeric message on the command line?

Hmmm... haven't used sendpage yet.  Perhaps the above noted will help
clarify the sendpage(1) man page?

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Buy copies of The New Hackers Dictionary.
The Suncoast Freenet            Give them to all your friends.
Tampa Bay, Florida     http://www.ccil.org/jargon/             +1 813 790 7592