Re: 4.0pl2, RH Linux 6.0, egcs-2.91.66

On Fri, Oct 01, 1999 at 02:16:44PM -0500, Henry F. Marquardt wrote:
> I've heard how great Hylafax is, but I'm having a devil of a time getting it
> wo work.  I'm not an idiot, but I'm not C++ engineer either.   I first tried
> getting the rpm that comes with powertools to work, but it complained on
> startup of the daemon that faxgetty was nowhere to be found ... which it
> wasn't.  So I figured that it was an RPM problem and I downloaded the source
> tarball.   Something must be going wrong somewhere because none of the
> executables are installed during the 'make install' phase; though some
> things are ... faxsetup is there (in fact it is what told me that 'sendfax'
> didn't exist).
>
> Is there something common/stupid about my setup?  BTW, I'm running an IBM
> PPro200 with 128mb as the hardware.

Unknown; alas, you didn't include the things we need to know: OS
release and version, HylaFAX release and type of install, etc.

If you haven't already been using one of the RPM's that are on the
HylaFAX.org site, either

ftp://ftp.hylafax.org/hylafax/binary/linux/rpms/i386/hylafax-4.0pl2-3rh5.i386.rpm

or the beta,

ftp://ftp.hylafax.org/hylafax/hylafax-4.1/binary/linux/RPMS/i386/hylafax-4.1beta1-1rh5.i386.rpm

I'd recommend that you rpm -e everything you've been messing with so
far, and install one of those as a baseline.  Note that there are some
folks who think that binary distributions of beta packages are a Bad
Thing; this one has seemed fairly stable by all reports.  However, if
you opt for it, and you _still_ can't get things running, by all means,
try backing off to the production release before screaming.

> Please don't flame me if I'm doing something silly, I did read the faq, the
> install directions and even noted the special considerations about linux
> (which I must say were a shade past my immediate knowledge ... reinstalling
> the development system doesn't seem like a real good solution for getting
> one program to work).

You're right; the documentation seill leaves something to be desired.

It's being worked on<tm>.

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Buy copies of The New Hackers Dictionary.
The Suncoast Freenet            Give them to all your friends.
Tampa Bay, Florida     http://www.ccil.org/jargon/             +1 813 790 7592