Re: Problems for Red Hat Linux 6.0

On Mon, 30 Aug 1999, Richard Wang wrote:

> I download the hylaFAX rpm from redhat linux powertool.  I have lots of
> installation problems.
>
> after :  rpm -ivh hylafax-4.0pl2-2.i386.rpm

This is *WAY* out of date. Go directly to www.hylafax.org for the
latest 4.0pl2 or 4.1beta1 (for RedHat 6.0 especially, use the beta).

> I got :
>
> WARNING: local host name (wavelet) is not qualified; fix $j in config
> file

Don't know what caused this.

> newaliases: cannot open /etc/aliases: Group writable file

SECURITY PROBLEM! Your /etc/aliases should be permission 644,
and without group write permission.

> Make sure that you run faxsetup before trying to use hylafax.
> For documentation specific to RPM look at
> /usr/doc/hylafax-4.0pl2/README.rpm
>
> then I run faxsetup I have a few warnings :
>
> Warning: /bin/vgetty does not exist or is not an executable program!

This is OK: we need to rephrase that warning.

> Warning: /bin/egetty does not exist or is not an executable program!

Same thing: those are for mgetty's voice/modem utilities.

> Warning: Font metric information files were not found!

This is a problem. Update your ghostscript version and try again, and
follow the nice instructions on how to make sure it finds
your AFM files.

> /usr/sbin/faxq
> /usr/sbin/faxsetup: /usr/sbin/faxq: No such file or directory

This is wrong: just dump that version, write RedHat a note,
and maybe check the RPM to see what it did with the faxq...

You really, really need to read my Linux notes at
http://cirl.meei.harvard.edu/hylafax/linux/, and I need
to publish them to the web site.

			Nico Kadel-Garcia
			Senior Engineer, CIRL