Re: FIFO: open: Device not configured

> FIFO: open: Device not configured

We're getting a lot of these recently, and I wonder if they are all for
SuSE; you might want to check the archives and raise this with SuSE, if
that is the case.  (Note that given the number of patches needed for
Red Hat, it seems unlikely that you are actually using 4.0pl2, rather
than one modified for SuSE.  If you did build from source, as implied
by the version number, you should note that some patches are almost
essential, e.g. the tagline patch to avoid retrain negative responses.)

> I want to send faxes only. Therefore I got a line with faxmodem ...
> in /sbin/init.d/hylafax.

This is not a recommended configuration; please try again with faxgetty
configured for zero rings.

> FIFO.modem is there. My modem is connected to ttyS1 but I
> configured everything as modem.=20

Although others disagree, my advice is to delete /dev/modem and
configure everything to use only the /dev/ttyS? names.