Hylafax boot funkiness...

I'm running Hylafax 4.0pl2 on SuSE 6.0 with the 2.2.8 kernel with windows
clients running whfc.  I have commented out the Hylafax line in inetd.conf per
info found on SuSE/Hylafax.

Both faxq and hfaxd are started however any faxes sent to the
server are queued but not sent (within the timeframe of my limited paitence).
Now (whether or not I kill the hfaxd and faxq processes), if I run faxsetup
Hylafax will start working properly and send the faxes in the queue
and from then on send immediately upon reciept.  I have tried running 'faxmodem
ttyS3' after boot, but that didn't help.  This kind of smells of a permissions
thing, but I have been prodding and pushing at this for a week and a half now
with no results.  I have also tried setting CHECK_PERMISSIONS=warn (as opposed
to 'yes')in the boot.local again with no results.  Any suggestions at all would
be appreicated.

Thanks,
-dave