Re: HylaFAX errors?

Dave Wreski wrote:

   > After a fresh RedHat install I managed to rpm --rebuild with the source

   What version of RH?  Which RPM?  What was wrong with the binary RPM that
   you had to rebuild the source one?

On RedHat 5.2 (out of a box) tried to use the hylafax-4.0pl2-3rh5.i386.rpm and experience the same problem r..chan
(r.chan/darren.nickerson-thanks for the info) did where rpm was failing due to libjpeg.so.62.0.0 (libjpeg-6b-7) being
present (was looking for libjpeg.so.6).  After 'rpm --rebuild   hylafax-4.0pl2-3rh5.src.rpm' all was well with rpm.

   > an got it installed... following the instruction to the letter the
   > following occurs:
   >
   > [root@localhost /root]# sendfax -d 6943015 text4fax.ps
   > 460 Failed to submit job 2: Unable to open scheduler FIFO: Device
   > not configured

   Show us your "ps ax|grep fax" output.
   294  ?  S    0:00 (hfaxd)

    Also, do "netstat -a|grep fax".
tcp        0      0 *:hylafax               *:*                     LISTEN

   Have you added the necessary services to /etc/services?
Hmmm, I draw a complete blank... <learning> (will leave it at that for now, having said that probably not)

   > [root@localhost /root]# sendfax -d 6943015 text4fax.viags.g3
   > text4fax.viags.g3: Can not determine file type

   What does "file text4fax.viags.g3" tell you?
The contents tell me nothing relevant (I think I logged startx feedback) but the file name tells me that I took the 'text4fax'
file and converted it 'via' the 'gs' to a 'g3' format.  (for experimental purposes)

   What about just trying "sendfax -d 6943015 /etc/hosts" instead?
 460 Failed to submit job 3: Unable to open scheduler FIFO: Device not configured.

   I'm sure you'll get it working.
Thanks for your encouragement as much as your help... after (insert a plethora of problems and lots of 'other OS' bashing
here) I realized most of my problems weren't due to software setup etc but rather not enough... blah blah  ... I'm hoping linux
will re-spark my passion for computers after it was slowly and methodically extinguished over the last 6-7 years when I
strayed from my beloved command prompt.

Thanks for your feedback,
Doug

PS - will stay off my soap box in the future, Sorry.

NB: this is a cut and paste re-post of the original message that I forgot to CC the mailing list... I hope (it should be) it is accurate - there was a bit of editing reqired  as the cut and paste did not maintain the quotes properly