Re: Unspecified Transmit Phase B error (code 20)

> Generic Modem (store worker claimed it was U.S. Robotics compatible and
> faxaddmodem also "thought" it was U.S. Robotics); 33.6Kbps; Class 1, Class
> 2.0; V32bis, V.FC, V.34+; Texas Instruments RK 33600 Chipset (as far as I
> can tell)

I don't believe that USR sell their hardware for badge engineering in this
way; it seems more likely that you were being treated as a non-technical
buyer and given the name of the most popular branded modem as a reference
(although probably the worst choice for Hylafax!)  If they really are of
USR origin, they may be broken chipsets that USR don't want associated
with their name!

> HylaFAX will dial out to whomever and will ALWAYS return a "Unspecified
> Transmit Phase B error (code 20)" error.  I've tried many different fax

The full diagnosic log would be helpful; in particular, the real Sporster
bug is very obvious from that log as garbage characters.

Note that error 20 is just the code for the textual message you quoted.
It means that there was a problem negotiating the session parameters for
which there is not a more specific message.  It could originate from
Hylafax or the modem; the log is needed to distinguish.