Re: Hylafax

At 17:27 16/02/99 +1000, Tim Ballingall <tim@mazda.com.au> wrote:
>[snip]
>My problems may be related to not being able to compile the system properly
>on a RedHat 5.2 Linux system.

To compile HylaFAX v4.0pl2 from source on a RedHat Linux 5.x system, you
will need several patches. The binary rpm from ftp.hylafax.org is
definitely the way to go.

>Even if I use the precompiled binaries I still have trouble. I can run
>sendfax manually & it accepts the job no worries. However when I run faxsend
>it simply sits there for 30 seconds & does nothing...

Hang on.. what's all this?  Sendfax is a 'client' program to submit a
document to the fax server; if everything is set up correctly, it should
be automatically transmitted, you do not need to invoke faxsend.

Can you tell us what HylaFAX processes are running? Mine are :

[root /root]# ps ax |grep fax
27438  p0 S    0:00 grep fax
  340  ?  S    0:00 /usr/local/sbin/faxq
  349  ?  S    0:00 /usr/local/sbin/hfaxd -i hylafax
  375  ?  S    0:00 /usr/local/sbin/faxgetty ttyS1
[root /root]#

>Am I correct in saying that when I run sendfax it will drop a q file into
>/var/spool/fax/sendq & when I run faxsend I should specify something like
>
>/usr/local/sbin/faxsend -m ttyS0 /var/spool/fax/doneq/q1

You have obviously been working hard digging through the documentation,
but unfortunately have developed the wrong conceptual model of how
HylaFAX works. Its simplier than you think.

The important thing first of all is to get HylaFAX up and running; then
you will gain some satisfaction for all the time you have invested in
the software.

I suggest starting again :

     1. Install hylafax-v4.0pl2-3rh5.i386.rpm
     2. Run faxsetup   (which will lead on to faxaddmodem)
     3. If you decide to use faxgetty, add this to /etc/inittab :
          # Run faxgetty to control the modem
          t2:23:respawn:/usr/local/sbin/faxgetty ttyS1
     4. Test with
          $ sendfax -n -d 12345678 /etc/passwd

You may have to alter the paths, serial ports and test fax number to suit
your particular system. :-)

>Thanks in advance

Ok. Hope you stick with it.

>Tim Ballingall
>Network Administrator
>Mazda Australia Pty Limited
>
>Mazda Australia takes every precaution to ensure email messages are virus
> free. For complete protection, you should virus test this message.

You're kidding?

Cheers,
Phil Watkinson,
Boston, UK.