Re: Waiting for modem to come ready

Hi,

> > lucky:/> faxstat -a
> > HylaFAX scheduler on lucky.misty.com: Running
> > Modem cua/9 (+1.215.836.4654): Waiting for modem to come ready
> > Modem cua/8 (+1.215.836.4654): Running and idle
> >
> > I recently started noticing that after sending a fax, things seem to often
> > or possibly always get stuck with faxstat reporting "Waiting for modem to
> > come ready".  I use cua/9 for primarily sending, and cua/8 for incoming faxes.

I determined this is completely consistent.  It always fails, once I've sent
one fax.

> > it used to be that when the modems were not in use, they always both
> > reported "Running and idle".  I can't remember changing anything recently
> > that would affect this though.
> >
> > I'm running Solaris-2.6, and am starting faxgetty from inittab:
>
> I've noticed this as well, but it has never caused any problems either
> with fax reception or transmission. (It will receive faxes as well as
> send them when it is in this mode).  Perhaps something is not getting
> flushed to the status file correctly.
>
> Martin

In my case the modem no longer answers, because at this point DTR is left
off to the modem.  I did determine though that this broke when I last
recompiled hylafax with gcc-2.8.1, and upon building hylafax with gcc-2.7.2.3
the problem goes away.  Further experimentation indicated that if I use the
gcc-2.8.1 compiled "faxsend" binary I have the problem, but with the
gcc-2.7.2.3 "faxsend" binary the problem does not exist.  I rebuilt both
copies of hylafax with exactly the same configuration options, and noted that
the config.h and other stuff set up by "configure" all are identical.

There is definitely something going wrong with faxsend, at least that
manifests itself on my machine, with gcc-2.8.1/libstdc++-2.8.1.1
but not with gcc-2.7.2.3/libg++-2.7.2.

There are no lock files laying around, and the end of the logfiles
for the sent faxes prior to success and failure look identical.
When faxsend is done it's interaction with the modem, somehow the 2.8.1
built version is leaving things reporting "Waiting for modem to come ready"

Any further suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

-Mark

--
Mark G. Thomas (Mark@Misty.com -- http://www.misty.com/)