Re: Pick on RH Linux to Hylafax

Mark Laurence wrote:

> I use a Pick database to send faxes to an old DOS server that can
> obtain the fax number from within the text section of the document
> being sent.
> eg
> #fax#1234567      this is the fax number
>
> This is the text section of the fax to be sent
>
> #include#tif.file     this will attach an image to the end of the fax
>
> The pick system can send a document to a Linux printer with no
> problems. I do not think it is capable of providing a job name or
> number.
>
> Can anyone advise if Hylafax could be used with imbedded text
> commands.
> Or has anyone had to interface a similar text based system to a
> fax server?
>
> Any response would be appreciated.

As far as I know, HylaFAX cannot be used with imbedded text commands.
So I had to write a small C-program to do the job.

When I want to fax from within my Informix-based application, I pipe the output
to my C-program, scan through the lines searching for something like
"#faxno=123456789#", extract the faxnumber, pipe all other lines to a file and
start HylaFAX with "sendfax -d123456789 <filename>"

This worked fine for me.

Hope this helps - for the first.

best regards
Juergen