Re: config.site and versions?

At 05:01 15/01/99 +0000, edw@detel.com (Ed Weinberg) wrote:
>Greetings all,
>
>It has been a long time.  1.5 years ago I configured HylaFax.

Hi, Ed,

I remember it well. It certainly doesn't seem 18 months ago, you
seemed to hit every problem and pitfall there was at the time. I
recall that from the tone of the various replies people seemed
quite impressed with your determination to succeed.

Still, should be a lot easier second time around, unless it's a
RedHat system of course...

>It is time to do it on another machine and I am trying not to
>repeat past errors.
>
>This time it is on RH 5.2 Linux

Aaah.

>First, I downloaded the RPM but found that it did not like various
>versions of Ghostscript and other things.
>
>I downloaded updated RPMs and found that they wanted a version between
>what was distributed with RH and what I had downloaded!

This subject has come up before; if you're happy that you have
a version after, say, 4.03 of ghostscript and ghostscript fonts, I
personally would force the installation with the --nodeps flag.

Using the binary rpm package is the recommended install for RedHat users.

>So, I guess that I need to compile it myself.
>
>Back to config.site...
>The last time I installed HylaFax I found that it thought that
>different executables and libraries were in the wrong place.  This
>time I am going to try to get it right instead of making 100 links.
>
>While examining that file I found that I did not have tiffio.h.  I did
>have:
>/usr/lib/libtiff.so.3.4
>/usr/lib/libtiff.so.3
>Will these do?

It's a start. It shows you have the libtiff package installed :

[root /root]# rpm -qf /usr/lib/libtiff.so.3.4
libtiff-3.4-4
[root /root]# rpm -qf /usr/include/tiffio.h
libtiff-devel-3.4-4

And you can see that the tiff headers are in the libtiff-devel pack.

>Is this a problem?  I have
>/usr/lib/libz.so.1
>/usr/lib/libz.so.1.1.3
>I do not have zlib.h

Odd; it is in the hylafax source in the zlib directory, *and* also
in the standard RedHat installation in the /usr/include directory -
this duplication actually causes problems and is the subject of a
patch to defs.in.

>Next there is general system stuff like chgrp and chmod and chown
>which are not in the /etc directory.  Should I change this in the
>file?

No, never in the /etc directory. I think you must be mis-reading
something here.

>I know a more about installing a program than I did last time, but a
>little knowledge can be dangerous!

A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. Can I suggest
obtaining Nico Kadel-Garcia's notes; INSTALL-linux5.x.v4.0pl2.html,
they are at :

      http://cirl.meei.harvard.edu/hylafax/linux/

you will also need the following patches from his site

* hylafax-logwtmp-patch.sh
* hylafax-regex-patch.sh
* an additional file 'config.local'

(they are also on the www.hylafax.org site with different names)

Rather than using a config.local I amended config.site to :

LIBTIFF="-L/usr/lib -ltiff"
TIFFINC="/usr/include"
TIFFBIN="/usr/bin"

You may also need the gcc-2.8.x.patch for RedHat 5.2 where egcs is
now the default c++ compiler (I think).

>Thanks for the help in advance.
>

>  --  Ed Weinberg,
>      Detel, Inc., An Internet Presence Provider
>      edw@detel.com

Pleasure.
Phil Watkinson,
Boston, UK.