config.site and versions?

Greetings all,

It has been a long time.  1.5 years ago I configured HylaFax.  It is
time to do it on another machine and I am trying not to repeat past
errors.

This time it is on RH 5.2 Linux

First, I downloaded the RPM but found that it did not like various
versions of Ghostscript and other things.

I downloaded updated RPMs and found that they wanted a version between
what was distributed with RH and what I had downloaded!

So, I guess that I need to compile it myself.

Back to config.site...
The last time I installed HylaFax I found that it thought that
different executables and libraries were in the wrong place.  This
time I am going to try to get it right instead of making 100 links.

While examining that file I found that I did not have tiffio.h.  I did
have:
/usr/lib/libtiff.so.3.4
/usr/lib/libtiff.so.3
Will these do?

Is this a problem?  I have
/usr/lib/libz.so.1
/usr/lib/libz.so.1.1.3
I do not have zlib.h

Next there is general system stuff like chgrp and chmod and chown
which are not in the /etc directory.  Should I change this in the
file?

I know a more about installing a program than I did last time, but a
little knowledge can be dangerous!

Thanks for the help in advance.

  --  Ed Weinberg,
      Detel, Inc., An Internet Presence Provider
      edw@detel.com