Re: help? cant install rpm package (and "what is going wrong")

Folks,

I'm pleased to say that we shall soon have mailing list archives online and
searchable at hylafax.org . . . in the meantime here's the answers to your
HylaFAX RPM installation problems. I know I should get a page up about this,
and I will when I can find the time.

-Darren

In message <3691FC21.3CADF527@bvm.com.au>, Ben Donohue writes:
>hi, what do i do?
>
>i have RH 5.1, i386.
>when i load the rpm -i hylafax-4.rpm the error is...
>failed dependencies: ghostscript-fonts-std >= 5.02 is needed by
>hylafax-4.0pl2-3rh5
>so i download the fonts but how do i install them? they look exactly
>like the fonts already in the system.
>dont know how to upgrade the fonts.

You need the new ghostscript RPMS, not just the fonts tarball. But even this
is out of date at the moment. The recommended procedure is to head to

	http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/

and grab:
	ftp://ftp.cs.wisc.edu/ghost/aladdin/gs550/linux/ghostscript-5.50-2.i386.rpm

and

ftp://ftp.cs.wisc.edu/ghost/aladdin/gs550/linux/ghostscript-fonts-5.50-1.noarch
.rpm

Then do:

	rpm -Uvh ghost*.rpm

Then fetch:

ftp://ftp.hylafax.org/hylafax/binary/linux/rpms/i386/hylafax-4.0pl2-3rh5.i386.r
pm

and install with:

rpm -ivh --nodeps hylafax-4.0pl2-3rh5.i386.rpm

>so i tried an older version of the hylafax.rpm and it installed okay.

Don't do this.

>only now TIFF is not there and some needed directories are missing...
>this is a clean install of RH5.1 this is stuffing up.

Redhat ships with an older version of ghostscript than I am comfortable with,
hence the requirement of at least 5.10. If you would like to grab the SRPM and
fiddle this yourself you might get away with it.

-Darren

>From owner-flexfax-outbound@celestial.com  Thu Jan  7 03:42:33 1999
>To: darren@hylafax.org
>cc: Ben Donohue <donohueb@bvm.com.au>, flexfax@sgi.com
>From: darren@hylafax.org
>Subject: Re: flexfax: RH5.1 on i386, doesn't like latest version
>Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 00:38:46 +0000

In message <199901051804.SAA22808@hewes.icl.ox.ac.uk>, darren@hylafax.org write
s:
>In message <3691FC21.3CADF527@bvm.com.au>, Ben Donohue writes:
>>hi, what do i do?
>>
>>i have RH 5.1, i386.
>>when i load the rpm -i hylafax-4.rpm the error is...
>>failed dependencies: ghostscript-fonts-std >= 5.02 is needed by
>>hylafax-4.0pl2-3rh5
>>so i download the fonts but how do i install them? they look exactly
>>like the fonts already in the system.
>>dont know how to upgrade the fonts.
>
>You need the new ghostscript RPMS, not just the fonts tarball. But even this
>is out of date at the moment. The recommended procedure is to head to
>
>	http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/
>
>and grab:
>	ftp://ftp.cs.wisc.edu/ghost/aladdin/gs550/linux/ghostscript-5.50-2.i386
>.rpm

I'm just following up to myself here . . . sorry!

It has been brought to my attention that some of you might have to pay for the
Aladdin distribution if you use it commercially. I'm not a lawyer but this may
be the case upon reading their license.

If you're worried about this, please see the following web site:

	http://www.typhoon.dircon.co.uk/html/ghostscript.html

which should tell you all you need to know in order to fulfill the
dependencies in the current RPM with ghostscript-5.10, distributed with the
GNU General Public License, which allows free use, and free copying and
redistribution under certain conditions (including, in some cases, commercial
distribution). The requirements are also in the RedHat contrib/ archives,
incidentally.

-Darren