Re: what is going wrong

In message <369E8A9B.889183CE@csi.com>, Herman Van Keer writes:

>First I tried to download and install the newer RPM's. But this didn't
>work out.
>Problem : ghostscript-fonts-std >= 5.02 - I installed 5.5
>libgr-devel >= 2.0.13 - is 2.0.13

The naming conventions of the fonts changed from 5.02 to 5.5 . . . the 5.5
RPMS are official Aladdin ones and work fine with the RPM, you just have to
add the --nodeps flag to make RPM ignore the missing dependency.

>So I tried to build from source... but then I got a message about a
>missing tiffio.h. Tried to search for the file and did not found it.

You're missing libtiff-devel, on my RH5.2 box, it's:

[tpcadmin@hewes ~]$ rpm -qf /usr/include/tiffio.h
libtiff-devel-3.4-4

>I finally decided to go for a older version:
>HylaFAX-4.0pl1-1.i386.rpm
>This version installed thru rpm.

It's just less fussy about the dependency on gs ;-)

>I run through the different scripts
>-created a link from /dev/faxmodem /dev/cua2
>-tested the connection through cu -l /dev/faxmodem

What? You lost me here. Did you run faxsetup?

>and when I try faxstat - I get no answer.

Can you try to be more precise here? faxstat reports the status of the
scheduler and any configure modems. I don't know what "I get no answer" means
in this context.

>I tried to do a simple sendfax -d anumber /etc/passwd
>tried faxstat again and nothing was there.

Again, I'm not sure I understand. Does anything helpful appear in syslog? Does
the user who submitted the fax get any mail?

>BTW : modem is not connected....
>Shouldn't I see a kind of queing, when running faxstat.

Wha? *boggle* Well, if you queue a job with no modem, `faxstat -s` should show
you that it is sitting in the queue.

>I've been searching www.hylafax.org... but didn't found anything, that
>could help me.

I suggest you hang out on that site a bit and do some reading ;-)

-Darren