Re: ZyXEL 2864 modems - now recommended?

Hi Phil,

Sorry for the delay replying...

At 10:29 AM 1/9/99 +0000, you wrote:
>Hi, ZyXEL modem users
>
>I am attempting to update the html documentation concerning modem
>information, and I would like your advice on ZyXEL 2834 series. I
>intend to submit the update to matthias and to the www.hylafax.org
>website.
>
>The ZyXEL U-1496e+ is already recommended for use by HylaFAX, the
>Elite 2864 and 2864I has no recommendation. Comments in the mailing
>list over the last couple of years suggest that both these models
>suffer particularly from the RTN syndrome (ie will send the first
>page 3 times, then abort). It was of interest that on 19 Dec 1998
>Alex<hylafax@astra.sif.it> announced that the 2.99i development
>firmware for the 2864I had a specific fix for this problem.

Ummm i should point out the latest 1496 has the same problem as the 2864 as
far as RTN's go.  Something funny occurs in both modems firmware at the end
of page.  Hopefully Zyxel will issue a firmware update for the 1496 as well
as the 2864.

>   c. they can be recommended whether they have the new firmware or not?

I've been looking at the recommended modems - and i think that the
Courier(recent firmware *only*) could be included in the recommended
modems.  This would give a hint to people to prefer it over the Sportster
given a choice.  None of the currently recommended modems are currently
available in Australia - except perhaps the Multitechs - which apparently
aren't nearly as good as they used to be(i think i heard they swapped
chipsets from AT&T to Rockwell for some/all models).

- Robert