Direct Connection through Serial Port

Hi. I am wondering if it is possible to use Hylafax to connect directly to
a paging terminal through the serial port, as opposed to dial up via
modem.  Unless I'm mistaken, it only would require removal of the modem
commands such as initializing it and such.

Basically, what we are looking at, is connect a FreeBSD 2.2.6 machine
running Hylafax 4.0Pl1 to a paging terminal through a serial connection.
The paging terminal is also hooked up to a pool of modems so that dial-up
is possible from offsite.

Any ideas if this is possible?

Thanks.
Michael Oswell