Re: Hylafax related Problem: Printing TIFF´s with Winword in low Resolution (204x98)

On Tue, 19 May 1998, Christoph Stotz wrote:

> maybe somebody has the same Problem:
>
> Too generate a huge amount of faxes (>2000) we use Microsoft Winword 97
> in combination
> with a Fax Printer Driver and ODBC Database Connection. We tried the
> Microsoft Personal Fax
> Printerdriver and Blackice´s TIFF Printer Driver. These Drivers got two
> possible Resolutions:
> fine (204x196) and low (204x98).

??? Why aren't you using a simple Postscript driver, such as one of
the Apple Laserwriter drivers, and letting HylaFAX and Sam Leffler's
TIFF libraries cope with it? Many of Microsoft's print drivers are
apparently pretty broken, a frequent source of difficulty for HylaFAX.
And Sam *WROTE* TIFF. Let *HIS* program deal with the transformation on
the HylaFAX server.

> Printing to file in fine resolutions works fine. Printing in low
> resolution breaks up part of the graphics
> and the content of all Winword "Textboxes". So part of the document is
> Ok. The other part is strechted
> by the factor of ca. 2 in height.
>
> Now my theory is that so called Desktop Publishing Programs (this
> happens also with Software from Real
> Programmes ,-) only supports symmetric DPI-Printing values. 204x98 is
> not symmetric and probably they
> use only the 204er value and so all the graphics and textboxes breaks
> up.
>
> Now I tried to generate 300x300 tiffs, scaling them after to 204x98, but
> quality is really poor.

Sigh: It seems from this that you are suffering, badly, from the bit
errors of digitizing/scaling/re-digitizing/scaling/etc. And I think
you're right: many TIFF programs seem to have no clue that the pixels
don't have to be square.

Skip this altogether. Stay in simple Postscript on your PC, which
describes *OBJECTS*, and have HylaFAX and ps2fax turn it into tiffg3
just before transmission using WHFC or some other technique to get
it to a HylaFAX server.

> A workaround may be to program the printer driver in order to "fake" the
> values it communicates to
> the DTP. The Problem is: I´m not able to do this.
>
> So, somebody of you got a Solution or a Workaround ? Please dont Answer
> "use fine mode". If you
> send 3000 faxes per week this may really be a point of cost.

Even though your faxes may look a lot better, just because of the higher
resolution....

> Thanx in advance !!

I hope the points I made help you...

			Nico Garcia