Re: Linux - SuSE 5.0 - How I,ve got Hylafax working

Martin Tanzer wrote:

    There is a bug in SuSE 5.0 distribution: When you run faxsetup ther are
    I couple of directories missing.

The HylaFAX installation process goes like that:

1. pull and unpack the source
2. run "./configure"
   this step tailors the HylaFAX source for your system into
   at least two global points:
   - it checks your build environment for tools (like compiler,
     TIFF-libs,...) and checks for functions, commands and flags
     to emulate;
   - lets you deside where the files should be placed (e.g. where
     $SPOOLDIR is);
3. run "make"
   this compiles and links the binaries
4. run "make install"
   this creates needed directories, installs the binaries
   and other files with the appr. rights and links
5. run "sh faxsetup" in the server bin dir
   this step checks the runtime environment of HylaFAX
6. use it

Ok, fine. What are "binary distributions" (like the above one)?
The purpose of a binary distribution is to let the user not
run the steps 1-4 (e.g. because he/she has no cc or other needed
tools) and start with something like step 4 (which places all
files to the places where they *must* be placed). The "must" is
really important because the builder of the binaries has done
step 2 and 3 and now the "knowledge" about where the things should
go are in the various a.out's and scripts. Installing them
on some other place as configured in step 2 will break most
of them. That's it.

I don't know in detail the "binary distribution" you have but
if you have a binary distribution which doesn't come along
with some tools and scripts... (like pkgadd on SVR4 or RPM or ...)
which install the files where they have to be installed together
with the appr. rights you should just trash this.

	matthias

    I created these files, and faxsetup
    reported no errors. But the directories belonged to root.root and not to
    uucp.uucp. (I just forgot later, that I created these directories, so I
    didn't think of checking there owner). So I got 'access denied' -
    messages trying to telenet prt 4559 or to run faxstat -v.

    I changed the ownership to uucp.uucp:

    cd /var/spool/fax
    mkdir archive client dev docq doneq info log pollq recvq sendq status
    tmp
    chown uucp.uucp *
    chmod 700 archive docq doneq pollq sendq tmp

    After that Hylafax worked.

    Thanks to Mathias and Carsten from SuSE, Martin