Re: Need help on Linux

On Tue, 18 Nov 1997, Carsten Hoeger wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Nov 1997, Evan Leibovitch wrote:

> > >   Historically, Linux used cuaX devices for dial out and ttySx devices
> > >   for dial in.

> > >   The kernel code that required this was changed in kernel version 2.0.x
> > >   and you should now use ttySx for both dial in and dial out. I
> > >   understand that the cuaX device names may well disappear in future
> > >   kernel versions.

> > But you can't count on all the serial-board vendors doing the same thing.
> > Some contunue to have different operation for cu* and tty*.
>
> Can you explain, what you mean?
> What have different serial-boards from different serial-board vendors to
> do with the Linux kernel's dialin/dialout feature?

The vendors of serial-port adaptors may not necessarily use the same
driver conventions -- or even the same utilities -- as the conventional
Linux serial driver. Comtrol Rocketports, for instance, recommend the
'setrocket' program rather than 'setserial'.

The various hardware makers are in control of their own drivers, and
most of the continue to make drivers that have non-modem-control ports
(/dev/cur?? for Comtrol, /dev/cuq[1-4][a-d]?? for Equinox, /dev/cuf??
for Computone) as well as their modem-control tty* equivalents.

On a Computone, when configuring HylaFax, /dev/cuf0 works fine for dialout
but /dev/ttyF0 does not. All I am saying is that one cannot expect or
assume that the behavior of third-party serial boards (especially
'intelligent' ones) will exactly copy that of COM1 and COM2.

 Evan Leibovitch, Sound Software Ltd, located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario
Supporting PC-based Unix since 1985 / Caldera & SCO authorized / www.telly.org
----------------- HURD is to Linux as Plan 9 is to System V ------------------