Re: HylaFAX password problem

On Thu, 7 Aug 1997, Shane Steeves wrote:

[Note Cc:. Next time, please ask/reply to the mailing list
 instead of to me]

> We are attempting to install HylaFAX on our server; and have encountered
> a problem. Our machine has shadow passwords enabled. When we try to send
> a fax with the following syntax:
>
>        sendfax -E -n -h /dev/cua1@dorian:4559 -d 15065360228
> /home/csi/ssteeves/tocspice3f3.ps

If you're sending the fax from the local (HylaFAX server) machine you do
NOT need the "-h ..." stuff. It's only needed if you're on a client machine.

> we are prompted for a password; unfortunately we cannot figure what the
> password is or why it is prompting for one.
>
> In your faq we have read about a problem in which we think is similar.
>
>                    Q104: Problem accessing fax services by clients?
>
> We are unsure if this is our solution or not.

This is your problem, exactly.

> The response said that HylaFAX actually consults etc/hosts (in
> /var/spool/fax) for security purposes. We are not very clear on how the
> etc/hosts (in /var/spool/fax) is supposed to be setup.

Reading the contents of hosts(4f) goes a long way.

>This is what we
> now have in that file:
>
>                                            localhost
>                                            127.0.0.1

What you need to add in here is the IP address of the machine you're
sending the fax from.
--
Jonathan Chen                          e-mail : jonc@pinnacle.co.nz
  Pinnacle Software Ltd                Voice  : +64.9.415.4460