HylaFAX Password Problem

> We are attempting to install HylaFAX on our server; and have
encountered
> a problem. Our machine has shadow passwords enabled. When we try to
send
> a fax with the following syntax:
>
>        sendfax -E -n -h /dev/cua1@dorian:4559 -d 15065360228
> /home/csi/ssteeves/tocspice3f3.ps

If you're sending the fax from the local (HylaFAX server) machine you do

NOT need the "-h ..." stuff. It's only needed if you're on a client
machine.

> we are prompted for a password; unfortunately we cannot figure what
the
> password is or why it is prompting for one.
>
> In your faq we have read about a problem in which we think is similar.

>                    Q104: Problem accessing fax services by clients?
>
> We are unsure if this is our solution or not.

This is your problem, exactly.

> The response said that HylaFAX actually consults etc/hosts (in
> /var/spool/fax) for security purposes. We are not very clear on how
the
> etc/hosts (in /var/spool/fax) is supposed to be setup.

Reading the contents of hosts(4f) goes a long way.

>This is what we
> now have in that file:
>
>                                            localhost
>                                            127.0.0.1

What you need to add in here is the IP address of the machine you're
sending the fax from.
--
Jonathan Chen                          e-mail : jonc@pinnacle.co.nz
  Pinnacle Software Ltd                Voice  : +64.9.415.4460

We have tried the above mentioned suggestions, and have found no releaf
from our problems.

Here is our current situation.  The HylaFAX software is installed on our
server, DORIAN, with shadow passwords.  We are using another office
computer to TELNET into dorian, and this is where we are typing the
following command:

        sendfax -n -E  -d 5360228 /home/csi/ssteeves/tocspice3f3.ps

With this command, we get this message:

        request id is 26 (group id 26) for host localhost (1 file)

Also, for this message, we had our host file looking like this:

        localhost
        127.0.0.1
        dorian@cybersmith.net:1000::

Nothing else happened.

We then put this in our host file:

        localhost
        127.0.0.1
        198.164.20.20

and we get the same error.

We are under the assumption though, that we have to tell which modem we
want the server to use.  To do this, we set
up our FAXSERVER enviromental variable like this:

FAXSERVER=/dev/cua1@dorian:4559; export FAXSERVER

Now, when we run the above mentioned  sendfax  line, we get this error
message

        460 Failed to submit job 28: Unspecified reason (scheduler NAK'd
request).

If we leave our hosts file like it was originally

        localhost
        127.0.0.1

then we are prompted for a password, which we have NO idea what to
enter.

We would greatly appreciate any help in which you can give to us.
Thank you for your time.

Cybersmith