problem with Motorola ModemSURFR modem

I am running HylaFAX v4.0pl0 (not pl1) on Solaris 2.5 (SPARC) with a
Motorola ModemSURFR External 28.8.

Every once in a while, HylaFAX starts complaining that my modem is
wedged.  I think that I know what the problem is.

According to truss, hfaxd is issuing the following command to the
modem:

	ATZE0V1Q0S0=0H0

I parsed this into:

	ATZ: reset the modem
	E0: turn off echoing
	V1: use words in response code
	Q0: turn on response messages
	S0=0: don't answer the phone
	H0: hang up the phone.

All this looks fine, except I've found that my modem will not accept
commands after ATZ on the same line.  The actual rejection message is
"4" -- command not recognized or too long.  Note that it is numeric
because the modem happens to be in this state.

When I look in my config.cua_a file, none of the strings look like
this long sequence.  I infer that HylaFAX is merging several strings.
Is there anyway to get it to NOT do this for ATZ?

The ATZ string is likely the ModemSoftResetCmd.  Perhaps I could
get the effect by defining it to be
	"ATZ\r<waitfor:0>"
Does this look right?

I'm willing to dig in the code, but I thought I'd ask first -- perhaps
there is a correct way to do this.

Thanks,

Hugh Redelmeier
hugh@mimosa.com  voice: +1 416 482-8253