Strange "Permission denied" error

Hello,

I have a problem getting Hylafax v4.0 pl1 on Linux 2.0.30 Intel to work.
Everything seems OK, but when I run any command, no matter what it is
with the -v switch I get the error :
420 "hostname" server cannot initialize: Could not create
client/"number": Permission denied.

I tried everything as etc/host, I chmoded it 0600, nothing changed.
Is it really a rights problem of a daemon process or does the software
try to create a file in a directory and has no right ?
I also set the faxstat and other client programs setuid root, started
all daemons as root, nothing helped.

What is it ?

Greetings,
Bernhard