Re: problem with Motorola ModemSURFR modem

| I am running HylaFAX v4.0pl0 (not pl1) on Solaris 2.5 (SPARC) with a
| Motorola ModemSURFR External 28.8.

| The ATZ string is likely the ModemSoftResetCmd.  Perhaps I could
| get the effect by defining it to be
| 	"ATZ\r<waitfor:0>"
| Does this look right?

I did some more experimenting.  This does not work.  For one thing, 0
isn't a legitimate thing to waitfor.  I ended up using OTHER in its
place.  For another, it would be good to flush any pending stuff, so I
tried:

	"<flush>ATZ\n<waitfor:OTHER>"

This didn't work because HylaFAX added an AT at the front; the modem
whistles at me when it gets a command "ATATZ\r".  I don't understand
the HylaFAX rules for AT.  I changed over to:

	"AT<flush>Z\n<waitfor:OTHER>"

This started to work, I think, but the modem got:

	"ATZ\rE0V1Q0S0=0H0

In other words, HylaFAX decided not to emit the AT for the commands
after the atz.  I really don't understand the HylaFAX rules for AT!
I ended up using

	"AT<flush>Z\n<waitfor:OTHER>AT"

which seems pretty fishy.  What is the right way to do this?

Hugh Redelmeier
hugh@mimosa.com  voice: +1 416 482-8253